Types of dandy trailer tents

Dandy folding campers

by admin on April 26, 2009

Must be one of the most often asked questions – which type of dandy do I have?

Well over the next few days and weeks – maybe months –  I am gong to attempt to clarify what is what, adding pictures if I can – bear with me and feel free to comment

As a starting point the colour of the PVC walls is going to give you a pretty good clue as to the age of the dandy:

• Late 1960’s to early seventies – Green PVC walls were the earliest
  • Early 1970’s – Orange PVC walls superseded the green
  • Late 1970’s – Brown PVC walls introduced
  • 1990’s – Blue and white PVC walls

Prior to the blue and white models – which were named – the dandy was known purely by its sleeping capacity. With many similarities between the units the easiest way to identify which model was which was by the width of the trailer:

• Dandy 4 Berth – 4 feet wide (122cm)
  • Dandy 4/5 Berth – 4 feet 10 inches wide (147cm)
  • Dandy 5 Berth – 5 feet 10 inches wide (178cm)
  • Dandy 6 Berth – 6 feet 3 inches wide (190cm)

Following the introduction of the blue and white models, identification became a whole lot easier as the units were given names, but just for completeness:

• Dandy Dart -160cm (including wheelarches)
  • Dandy Delta – 183cm (including wheelarches)
  • Dandy Designer – 188cm
  • Dandy Discovery – 188cm (Same as Designer but with bench instead of table/chairs)
  • Dandy Destiny – 205cm
  • Dandy Dimension – 205cm

More about these later…

{ 29 comments… read them below or add one }

cogsy December 17, 2009 at 4:46 pm

hi could anyone tell me the best way to clean the pvc inside and
many thanks

DENIS ONEIL January 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Hi, This site is just whate I have been looking for.
I have a 4ft wide brown dandy 4, The wheels on mine are inboard but I have seen Dandy’s with the wheels outboard. So do your width measurements include the wheels when outboard? Thanj Den

peter sandford February 14, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Hi, I have a brown colour Dandy 6, firstly how do you work the hitch lock so that I can reverse with it still attached to the car!! Also on the floor underneath the cooker end of the cupboard there is a black knob,does this transfer the gas from the cooker to the underfloor heater?

amanda May 17, 2010 at 10:10 am

where can i get replacement feet for legs mine are broken iv seen dandys with rubber feet

colin June 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm

hi can anyone tell me what year dandy made a destiny camper with plastic sides instead of metal it has got brown pvc and a white roof thanks

Gary Parker July 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I have an original 1960 green dandy PVC in great condition with awning and original press stud groundsheet couldanybody tell me how much it is worth approx ? Thanks

chris watkins August 10, 2010 at 7:49 pm

hi gary do you still have the dandy or have you sold it. please let me now 🙂

Tony Adams August 17, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I have an original prototype Dandy ( 6/60)
restored and ready to go.
Any offers?

Tony August 17, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I have an original prototype Dandy 6/60 (No 6 built in 1960)
all timber model – restored and ready to go.
Solid chassis all overhauled.

Any offers?

chris watkins August 20, 2010 at 11:20 pm

hi tony i am interested in the dandy please call me on 07852171365

John August 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm

HI, Could any one tell me the exact length of cords used to raise up the roof of a Dandy 6.

MICHAEL DENT September 7, 2010 at 10:04 am

Can anyone help me what is a Dandy Dash does it have built in cooker etc same as Dart Urgent reply please.

dave o September 12, 2010 at 11:17 pm

i have a dandy 4 birth wood door and back very good condition will sell for around 400 pounds very clean

lyn September 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Are there any Dandy’s that we could have that we can trail behind our motor bike. Must be 1metre in width

hester & vladimir December 26, 2010 at 9:22 pm

We are looking for a 4 persons Dandy for a reasonable price. We’re from the Netherlands so close to Harwich or Eurotunnel would be nice in order to come over. Please contact us with your offer!! We are serious.

hazel January 25, 2011 at 10:20 am

dave o, where are you based?

Jon Tyrrell February 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Hi i have a1960s Dandy Trailer Tent use to have a morris minor pulling her but those days have gone dandy is in lovely condition but she must go nayone know how much i can get

Kelly July 7, 2011 at 6:18 pm

HI, I have a green 4/5 berth folding camper, its in great condition apart from rusty leg stilts, does anyone know where i can but these from?

Caroline Glazebrook August 31, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I need a spare wheel for a six berth dandy circa 1986,12inch rims.Is there a car rim that would fit?iiiiii

Caroline Glazebrook August 31, 2011 at 7:45 pm

sorry forgot to say 12″ four stud spare

Kelly anderson September 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Hi, i have a an originaly 5 berth green pvc dandy, the interior and awning is in great condition but the trailer needs a bit of work doing on it, could anyone tell me how much this is worth how how i would go about getting new legs for it?
thanks

Boris Glade December 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I found your blog site on google and examine a number of of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the superb operate. I simply additional up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Searching for ahead to reading extra from you afterward!?

Tim December 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I have a 1970 hard side camper, that according to the title is a Dandy HSE. Is this true? We’re these around? If not, how do I go about figuring out what I have and finding specs?

neil morgan December 28, 2011 at 1:38 am

hello, im looking for a dandy dart (the smallest of them all ) .
if anyone has one for sale it dose’nt have to be in A1condition just sound.
please contact me at, theoaf1@btinternet.com.
thanks, neil.

Tow Itch March 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Lots of cheap campers around at the moment . Mysteriously most of them in the wilds of Scotland Whether the add is on Craigslist or eBay If it’s cheap and the offer is dependant on delivery think twice. Make out that you or a friend live or are travelling close by and want to view. When you cant for whatever reason do you think it really exists?

Kevin April 5, 2012 at 12:48 am

Buying a Dandy?

Whilst it’s always best to view first, some choose to bid on the item as described on eBay. Fair enough it can work out, it can be problematic.
Please be extremely cautious of Dandys or any other folding camper for sale where payment is required in advance by bank transfer or even Pay Pal as Pay Pal will not necessarily refund you should no Dandy appear.
This game is particularly played with underpriced Dandys for sale in places where 90% of the UK’s population wouldn’t be able to view them. Mysteriously the delivery costs are cheap as well. If you recieve a direct email you may choose to Google “How to trace an ip address” and see that the email was not from the same location as the add says. I don’t know enough about proxy servers though to guarantee that an ip address at the same location means anything. Try to look at some of the Dandy forums or UK Campsite to see more examples of this game.

Jay April 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Just purchased a beige dandy 1989. Does anyone have any inormation about them arriving soon I can’t see it in the dandy types. It says 1989 6 berth no sun canopy or awning unfortunately. Are there any first time owner problems we need to know of before collection.

Many thanks

Katrina June 7, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me i have recently purchased an old dandy which is brown and cream is this late 1960’s ? I have a problem with the pull over roof as it doesn’t seem to secure very well so does anyone have any advice on how to get it weather tight or know where i can get users manual please, any advice would be greatfully recieved.
Many thanks
Katrina.

John June 26, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Can anyone help looking for ignitor for dandy designer heater